Vikings Fullback Arrested on DWI Charge

Vikings fullback Jerome Felton is expected to appear at the Ridgedale Courthouse in Minnetonka on July 18, after he was arrested on a suspicion of driving while impaired charge. He was released from Hennepin County Jail on Saturday, June 2, on $12,000 bond.

Eden Prairie police booked Felton, 25, at 5:51 a.m. Saturday after responding to a call from a McDonald’s stating that a driver was intoxicated in the drive-thru lane. Felton refused to take a chemical test, which qualifies as a second-degree gross misdemeanor.

Jerome Jean-Marie Felton, Minnesota Vikings FB. (Courtesy: Hennepin County Sheriff)

Felton was signed to a one-year, $700,000 contract with the Vikings in March. A fifth-round draft pick by Detroit in 2008, Felton is looking to find a consistent role in the NFL after part-time stints with Carolina and Indianapolis in 2011. The Lions released him last August.

Felton is the third Vikings player in the past 10 months to be arrested for DWI. Quarterback Rhett Bomar was arrested in August, followed by safety Tyrell Johnson in September. Johnson signed with Miami as a free agent this offseason, and Bomar was released during training camp.

According to an “NFL arrests database” compiled by the San Diego Union-Tribune, Vikings players have accounted for five of the 32 arrests or citations around the league since August.

The Vikings have had eight arrests since January 2011, including two apiece from cornerback Chris Cook (brandishing a firearm in March 2011, felony domestic battery in October) and defensive end Everson Griffen (public intoxication, felony battery of a police officer — both in January 2011).

Cook was acquitted on both counts, and Griffen pleaded guilty to the charges in December and received probation.

In December, cornerback Benny Sapp was cited for misdemeanor assault and careless driving — but was not arrested — after allegedly chest-bumping a security guard at a hospital. Sapp is a free agent.

In April, running back Caleb King was arrested on felony assault charges after allegedly causing severe head trauma to a victim outside of a party. King was released by the team.